Cut penis

Q: I am a 22 year old male. Last night I was trimming my pubic hair with an electric trimmer without the safety guard on and I nicked/gashed my penis on the underside towards the base. The bleeding stopped very quickly but I am concerned because I have done this before but not this large/deep of a nick. I have been having trouble getting/maintaining an erection last night and this morning. Is it possible I nicked a blood vessel or something and caused erection problems?

Symptoms:  Trouble getting/maintaining an erection

A:   Thank you for question. Without examining this cut we cannot be certain if you lacerated a blood vessel when you sustained this cut from your trimmer. It is possible that the cut you sustained resulted in diffuse inflammation of the penis, and as a result you would have trouble getting and maintaining an erection. It is important that you wash the area with tepid water, dry it thoroughly and examine it carefully for any signs of infection such as redness, swelling, secretion of pus, and increased pain. The aforementioned are among the cardinal signs of inflammation and could be indicative of an underlying infection. It is possible that once this cut heals that your erections will return. We recommend that you ere on the side of caution and proceed to your doctor to have this area examined.