Cyst

Patient

Q: What is the treatment options for a collapsed ovarian cyst.

Doctor

A:   A ruptured ovarian cyst should be evaluated by a health care provider for a possible drainage into the abdominal cavity which can cause intense pain, especially if blood was inside the cyst.
The peritoneum is especially vulnerable to irritation because it contains so many nerve endings. An amount of blood as small as 10 ml can cause severe irritation and pain. Reassurance is given in the majority of cases, however depending on the volume of drainage and the development of an acute abdomen, a laparoscopy sometimes might be needed.