Cystic Acne

Patient

Q: I have been suffering from Cystic Acne for the past 4 months, and it is just getting worst everday. I have seeked a doctors advice once and I was given Doxycyclin. This has helped me to reduce those big acnes, but its not stopping. The bad thing about this is that it is leaving a lot of scars on my face. I am getting to a point where I dont want to come out of house anymore because it looks so bad. Please help me.

Doctor

A:   You are correct cystic acne can leave scars.  However, I suggest you focus on the present and not what may or may not happen in the future.  Please speak to your doctor, there are many more options for cystic acne. Often we use a combination or oral and topical medications to maximize the effect.  If you are only receiving partial response with oral medications, you may benefit by adding (not replacing) a topical treatment.
Please speak with your doctor.