Cystic acne flare up

Q: Right now I am having a cystic acne flare up. My chin is huge and unfortunately I did try and pop it twice and stuff did come out. Now my chin hurts, and is red. When you touch it, it feels like a a grape size ball on my chin. Any suggestions???

Symptoms:  Red and painful. Swollen

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
You should never prick your pimples / acne else they will leave marks on your face.
In your current scenario, I would recommend you to following:
1. Clindamycin gel locally over the affected area.
2. To take antibiotic like Doxycycline. I usually prescribe it 100 mg twice daily to my patients.
Once your acute flare is under control, send us a photograph of your face so that we can do the grading of your acne and will recommend you treatment to completely get rid of acne and prevent flares.
In the present scenario, the above mentioned medicines help the best.
Share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: Unfort I'm stuck home due to the snow and can't get to a doctor. Anything to do from home?
Doctor: Hello,
Such flare up can't be controlled at home and i don't advise any home remedies for the same as they may get worsen.
See your doctor as soon as possible.