Daily Dosage of Vitamin B12 and D3

Patient

Q: I just purchased vitamin b12 and D3. How much of each should I take daily?

Doctor

A:   There are a number of variables like your age, reason for taking the vitamin supplement, the form of vitamin, and also factors like the amount of sun exposure, time of year, your weight and skin tone etc. determine what dosage would be best for you. It's really not possible to recommend a single amount for everyone. If you just want to use supplements for general health benefits, the typical adult dose of vitamin B12 is 2.4 mcg daily, and that of vitamin D would be at least 1,000-2,000IU daily or may be 5,000IU per day if you get little or no sunlight.

There are a number of variables like your age, reason for taking the vitamin supplement, the form of vitamin, and also factors like the amount of sun exposure, time of year, your weight and skin tone etc. determine what dosage would be best for you. It's really not possible to recommend a single amount for everyone. If you just want to use supplements for general health benefits, the typical adult dose of vitamin B12 is 2.4 mcg daily, and that of vitamin D would be at least 1,000-2,000IU daily or may be 5,000IU per day if you get little or no sunlight.