Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Daily Fluctuations in Blood Sugar Levels

Daily Fluctuations in Blood Sugar Levels

Patient: I am diabetic. Previous day i experienced exhaustion , slight sweating which faded after taking some sugar. next day i checked my RBS , found the same 180,without taking Glynase MF half tab which is my recommended dose,i am comfortable taking the tab before lunch or at evening. last month RBS 140 pl advise 1.why is the glucose level fluctuating 2.Taking medicine at the said timings are ok or should i take the same in the morning itself before breakfast? yours

Doctor: First of all, random blood sugar levels fluctuate any time in a span of 24 hours. Blood sugar levels usually peak 2 hour s after a meal then gradually decrease afterward. Glucose levels are usually lowest in the morning, before the first meal of the day. You have not mentioned what time of day you have taken these RBS values so it is hard to tell if the values are high or not. If these values were taken pre-breakfast then it is indeed high. Diabetic medicines such as Glynase MF may take time to work. Bear in mind that exercise and lifestyle modification is a very important factor in improving diabetes. If medicines and exercise are combined, there will be much better blood sugar levels and fewer heart, brain and kidney complications. If you want to take it before breakfast or before lunch it is okay as long as you take it with or just right before having a meal. What you experienced (exhaustion, sweating) may be signs of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels) because, like you said, it immediately resolved after you ate some sugar. As much as possible, bring crackers with you all the time so if this happens again, you can easily treat it. I do have a suggestion. Take RBS values everyday or every other day for one whole month. You may copy the table and show it to your doctor. This way, your doctor will be aided in terms of dosage adjustments and timing of your medicine. I do hope I have answered your question and I wish you well always.DayRBS value1Pre-breakfast2Pre-lunch3Pre-dinner4At bedtime5Pre-breakfast6Pre-lunch7Pre-dinner8At bedtime9Pre-breakfast10Pre-lunch11Pre-dinner12At bedtime13Pre-breakfast14Pre-lunch15Pre-dinner16At bedtime