Daily salt intake recommendations

Patient

Q: I am addicted to salt. I have a normal bp. Is there another reason to watch your salt intake besides an elevated bp? Eat well, work out daily at age 62. Am I at risk? What's the deal with sea salt. Is this really any better for us?

Doctor

A:   We all require salt usually in the form of sodium chloride, for normal body functioning. Too much salt or too little salt may be harmful to the body. If you suffer from high blood pressure it is advisable to reduce your sodium intake to <100mmol/day = 2.4g sodium/day. However if your blood pressure is normal, up to 4 g/day is safe for the typical adult. Blood pressure tends to rise as we age, therefore just because your blood pressure is currently normal, does not mean this will always be the case. There are low sodium table salts and salt substitutes available, which taste similar to table salt but contain mainly potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Therefore this may be an alternative way to reduce your overall salt intake.