Dark circles under child's eyes

Patient : My 3 year old son has had dark purple circles under his eyes for the past 5 months. They appear to be getting worse. Today they were so dark that he looked really sick. I read that it could be environmental allergies, so I have been vacuuming his room daily and changing his sheets daily, plus putting his mattress and pillow in the sun. I have removed anything in the house that I believed could be mouldy. But his dark patches seem to be getting worse. I am wondering what could be causing this.
Symptoms:  Dark purple circles under eyes. No other symptoms that seem unusual for a 3 year old. He is moody, throws tantrums, etc.