Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Darkening of the Face Skin, What should I do?

Darkening of the Face Skin, What should I do?

Patient: I am a Male. I have suffered with face pimples from 15 years old.Now I aged 22 years and pimples stopped at 19 years but still my face is looked very darkened. How to change this darkened face into my normal color..? All parts of my body except the face looked normal…!

Doctor: One of the possibilities of darkening of skin is damage to the skin from sun exposure as well as the normal aging of the skin. If your doctor confirms this as your diagnosis, then there is generally not much you can do to get rid of the spots, although protecting your skin with a good moisturizer and also with a sun screen can help to prevent them from progressing more. Another possibility is a condition known as melasma, which involves the emergence of dark areas of discoloration on the cheeks, nose, and forehead. Melasma is often genetically determined, but it can also be associated with certain medications. If your doctor confirms this diagnosis, it may be possible for you to try a number of different prescription creams which may help to lighten up your skin tone.