Darlene Burrows

Q: I have a weak bladder and urinate alot. Since Sunday I haven't been going as much but I have an achy feeling in the lower part of my front sides. I thought I had a virus but its been 2 days and I'm still achy and go hours without having to urinate when before it was like every thirty minutes. What's wrong with me?

Symptoms:  Just achy in the bottom of my stomach

A:   Thank you for your question. The symptoms you have described could possibly be due to a urinary tract infection (UTIs). Patients who have issues with incontinence (weak bladder) can be more prone to UTIs. We are concerned that if you have an infection, it may be spreading upwardly toward your kidneys, which could be a possible reason for the pain in your sides. This is called acute pyelonephritis. We recommend that you visit your doctor and conduct a urinalysis to determine if you have an infection. If so, you will most likely be prescribed a course of antibiotics to treat it. Furthermore, we also recommend that you drink copious amounts of water to assist in cleansing your genitourinary tract of this infection. We understand that you struggle with incontinence, but this will greatly assist in treating this potential infection.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com