Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Daughter is anemia with knee pain

Daughter is anemia with knee pain

Patient: Hi my daughter (3 years old) is in between the hospital docs and GP who have conflicting views and I’d like to have a private consultation but need to know what specialist she needs to see. She is slightly anaemic but bit iron deficient. She fell and hurt her knee 3 weeks ago but swelling and immobility has developed over time and not reducing. The hospital said it was a bad sprain but GP thinks there is something else going on. She has had blood tests to see whether there is an infection (negative) and GP thinks the swelling is due to a previous virus. She also has reactive white blood cells.I don’t know where to turn and i want a diagnosis, please help

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Your daughter had a fall and then injured her knee. And you took her to a GP. The knee m ust not have gotten okay by the treatment he gave her and he suspected an infection.This is why he thinks the infection is due to a bacteria or a virus. His chain of thought is not too incorrect.If you would like a second opinion, you need to meet a Pediatrician. The Pediatrician will examine the knee and order the necessary tests to reach a diagnosis.Hope this helps you. All the best.