Daugther having headaches on Cefzil

Patient

Q: My daughter has been taking Cefzil (cefprozil) for 3 days for "suspected" strep throat. She has been having headaches for the past 2 days. Her headache this evening has been severe. I've given her Tylenol with little relief. Should I stop the antibiotic?

Doctor

A:   In my opinion she should not stop her antibiotics. Headache is not a common effect of Cefzil but it might be the cause. The benefits of the antibiotics are more important and also when taking antibiotics and stopping them early might develop resistance to them.
Tylenol should take care of the headache, but I will suggest you to take her for an evaluation of the headache if they are predominant in the forehead or around the eyes to rule out a possible sinusitis. I wish her a prompt recovery.