Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Dear Dr I want to know when to do the pregnancy test.

Dear Dr I want to know when to do the pregnancy test.

Patient: Dear DrI want to know when to do the pregnancy test, I know it says on the day of the period however my husband and I had sex four days before my period , would the test still be accurate ?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.A urine pregnancy test can be done as early as 5 days before the commencement of the n ext period. On the day of the missed period, it is generally done.If you want a better reliable test, do a beta hcg blood test which will be a better predictor of early pregnancy. This should later be confirmed with a scan in case of a pregnancy.Hope this helps.Feel free to contact us for any other queries.Regards

Patient: Yes but what if I had sex just four days before the period, will the test still show if I’m pregnant

Doctor: Hello,
If you had sex 4 days before cycle, there is no possibility of pregnancy