Dear Sir, I am a type 2 diabetic patient

Patient

Q: Dear Sir,

I am a diabetic-2 patient, I am 37 years old, having weight 68 KG. I am getting the dose of (Glimepiride and Metformin) daily one each tablet early morning before meal. This dose, I am getting since one year.
I am doing my bodybuilding workout six days per weak since two years but I did not gaining muscles? Please suggest me how to get more healthy weight and muscles?

Symptoms:  Not weight gaining
Doctor

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

You may have lost weight because your blood sugar has been running high. This can cause much of the carbohydrate food that you eat to pass into your urine and not be absorbed into your body. Alternately, you may have been slim to begin with, and then as you got older your pancreas may not be making as much insulin, so you got diabetes. Regardless of the cause, once you have diabetes and are underweight, eating can be a challenge. Restricting carbohydrate foods that increase your blood sugar, also restricts calories, so you need to rely more on proteins and fats to get your needed calories.

The first thing to do is to see your doctor, to find out if you need more diabetes medications, or a change in medications. The right diabetes medication can help you gain weight by improving absorption of sugar.

Next step, look at what you are eating. It is best to spread your intake out into three small meals and three small snacks. This spreads out your carbohydrates and also means you will not feel so full at each meal. Here are a few simple ideas to boost calories:

spread peanut butter on an apple or banana, to add protein
slice up avocado and have it in sandwiches or salads
add ¼ cup of skim milk powder to each cup of milk to double the protein
add extra oil such as olive, canola, corn or soya oil, margarine, mayonnaise and salad dressings to recipes and foods such as mashed potatoes, rice or pasta, oatmeal, scrambled eggs or casseroles
add chopped nuts or roasted sunflower seeds on top of yogurt or cereal
add sliced or shredded cheese to soups and casseroles.

In addition to boosting calories, it is important to rebuild lost muscles. To build muscle strength, a walk is good, and so is doing some weight lifting. Start with a small dumbbell weight (1-5 lbs).Choose a weight that you have a hard time lifting ten times. Start with doing ten bicep curls with each arm. Hold the weight in your hand with palm-up and slowly curl your arm up to your shoulder bending at the elbow. Slowly return to extended position and repeat with alternate arms.

Hope this helps. Take care.