Dear Sir/madam About 3 weeks ago I was fishing on

Patient

Q: Dear Sir/madam. About 3 weeks ago I was fishing on a holiday and I sustained a hook injury ( pieced my hand ). That same hook punctured a young boy in the hand a couple of minutes before me. My question is if the boy happened to be HIV positive, what are the chances of transmission to me, (I don't remember seeing fresh blood on the hook) should I have taken PEP Treatment? The HIV rate in children is low in my country, however my anxiety levels are extreme. Appreciate as much details as possible. Thankyou

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Usually in a medical setting, the chances of getting HIV from a needle prick is about 3 in 1000. You can assume that you have a similar risk. I recommend that you take PEP if you suspect the boy has HIV/AIDS.

If it is less than 72 hours, you can still take the PEP. Even if you have crossed 72 hours, you can still take the PEP but it will be less effective. Do get tested after 6 weeks and then again after 6 months. If both tests are negative, then you can stop worrying.

Wishing you the best of health.