December was the last time I had my period January

Patient

Q: December was the last time I had my period. January 15th I went to E.r for abdominal pain, they said I had a ruptured cyst and sent me home. They gave me a pregnancy test and it was negative. Its the middle of February and still no period. Will I get one? Am I ok?

Doctor

If your cycles have been regular and your mid-cycle was 15th Jan when you had an ovulation pain and ruptured follicular cyst, then your menses should have resumed by the end of Jan or early Feb. But as you have been delayed, it is important that you should get pregnancy ruled out again and if negative then get a hormonal profile and an ultrasound pelvis done to rule out PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome , which is commonly seen in young women and accompanied with increased body weight and anovulatory cycles leading to oligomenorrhoea or delayed menses and even increased androgens leading to excessive bodily hair growth.

Menses can be resumed by opting for a withdrawal bleed with progestins after evaluating the endometrial lining thickness, which should me more than 10mm, to resume your menses. Please visit your physician soon.

I hope I have answered your query,
Wishing you good health.