Decision to make on a back injury to the spine.

Patient : My MRI report states L3-L4 There is a mild broad posterior disc protrusion with mild narrowing of the spinal canal. There is mild bilateral facet hypertrophy. No significant neural foramen stenosis, the extra foraminal disc protrusion has a mild mass effect on both lateral L3 root and may produce radicular symptoms. I injured my back in oct 2013 at work and was treated by physical therapy . I was returned to work in 8 weeks and worked for 3 weeks with the pain returning. I has three spinal injection in the L3-L4 in June 2014. Doctor cleared me for work and i returned. I moved a sofa on Jan 9th 2015 and the pain started back again going down my left leg. I'm a 50 year old male Police Officer, 6 foot 5 inches tall and 255 lbs. My duty gear adds 23 lbs. to me. My family Doctor advised another round of physical therapy and spinal shots. He feels my back is not bad enough for surgery, but wants me to find a new career due to the stress put on my body. Is this my best course of action?
Symptoms:  Pain in my left back and leg
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are having chronic disc prolapse with acute phase now. You require rest and analgesic followed by physiotherapy.Your doctor is right that your symptoms don't suggest operation, but you should change to a lighter job. This problem may resolve within 2 years as disc prolapse may resolve in 2-3 years, then you may not have these problems. Hope your query get answered. Wishing you a good health. Take care.