Decreased calorie intake but still gaining weight.

Patient

Q: How do you get your metabolism back to a good state? I've been treated for being underweight a few months ago, and now Im out and on my own. I still have troubles and mainly eat only raw veggies and usually no more that 400 calories a day; yet I have still been gaining weight. How do I get my body back to a healthy state?

Doctor

A:   Modifying lifestyle with a healthy balanced diet and regular exercise is essential in weight control. Due to your calorie intake being less than normal, your body may think that you are undergoing starvation and may increase the storage of calories. Your weight gain may also be due to hypothyroidism. I would suggest that you speak to a dietitian to calculate your calorie intake and also get your thyroid levels checked.