Degenerative disc disease

Q: Hello,

Im a 23 year old male and after having an accident at work in July 2010, resulting in a prolapsed disc at L4L5, I've been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease.

The only previous accident I've had was whiplash sustained in 2006.

My question is would whiplash have any contribution towards my current diagnosis? I've been told by doctors that it's quite rare for a person of my age to have DDD naturally occur and it's most likely due to trauma.

It's been over a year now, the disc is still slightly bulges and I still have problems with pain and numbness and tingling in my left leg. It's driving me insane and I don't know where to go for advice, hence the email to you.

I would really appreciate your help.