Delay in periods

Patient

Q: Hi,
My period dates are usually 16th or 17th. bleeding begins on these two days. I had sex with my friend on the 15th and after it, the condom slipped off, keeping it in my vagina filled with ejaculatory fluid. Obviously we were tensed, so I took an oral pill Ipill in 2 hours.
It has been over two weeks, I still havent got my period for that month. I did a pregnancy test but it showed negative. I had taken the evening samples, thinking it would be fine.
Why isn't my periods coming? please help!

Doctor

A:   Condom accidents are common. However, just before your expected date of periods you are generally in a safe period, as it is unlikely that you could be ovulating. In addition to this fact, you also took emergency contraceptive pills within the 72 hour interval. I think you have done all the right things and should not be stressed out about the possibility of a pregnancy.
The chances of failure of an emergency or morning after pill is less than 2 in 100. After 2 negative pregnancy tests the chances of pregnancy are next to nil. Delayed menses can be caused by a variety of reasons other than pregnancy. Hormonal imbalances, weight fluctuations, thyroid illness, polycystic ovaries etc. are all causes of delayed menses.I think in your delayed periods could be the emergency contraceptive pill as it is one of its known side effects. Most likely, you will get your period in a week's time however if you still miss your period after that, it would be advisable to visit a doctor or clinic or hospital for an examination.
If you are certain you do not want to conceive at all at present, I suggest that you consider the option of regular contraceptive pills that offer you the dual benefit of regularizing your cycles as well as offering a success rate of nearly 99.9 % with correct usage.
Do visit a family planning clinic or a contraception counselor and discuss the options available to you and make an informed choice in this matter.