Delayed bone healing in a 54 years old female

Q: My daughter who is 54 broke a bone in her foot. It was a clean break and is in position to heal but after 7 weeks in a cast has not healed at all. She is a smoker and we know how bad that is. She says she will DAP to refuce or cut out the smoking but I want to know what foods would be good to incorporate into her diet to help the healing. She is about 10-15 lbs overweight Since I am the one who does most of the food shopping at this point, need some healthy suggestions. Thanks

A:   I advise to your daughter that makes sure that she is getting enough Calcium and Vitamin D with her diet; certainly she has factors that contribute to the delayed bone healing, meaning, smoking and by her age maybe menopause (osteoporosis). Americans age 50 and older are believed to be at increased risk of developing vitamin D deficiency. As people age, skin cannot synthesize vitamin D as efficiently and the kidney is less able to convert vitamin D to its active hormone form. Then, older adults may benefit from supplemental vitamin D. The RDA (recommended daily allowance) for Vitamin D (supplements) in adults with age between 50-70 years old is: 600-1000 IU per day. Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich sources of calcium; nondairy sources include vegetables, such as Chinese cabbage, kale, and broccoli, most grains do not have high amounts of calcium unless they are fortified, foods fortified with calcium include many fruit juices and drinks, tofu, and cereals.