Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Delayed inebriation.

Delayed inebriation.

Patient: HiLast night my husband consumed a lot of alcohol. Not enough to result in alcohol poisoning but he got pretty drunk. Today we woke up around 8 and he seemed fine but around noon he had a cigarette and a glass of water and began acting wasted again, not just a little tipsy but very very drunk. He swears he didn’t consume any alcohol this morning but I’m suspicious. Is it possible for someone to have delayed drunkenness the next day? This is the third time this has happened. I want to believe him but I’m worried he’s just sneaking drinks when I’m not looking.

Symptoms: Delayed drunkenness

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The alcohol follows normal kinetics and the effect of alcohol should reduce with time. Its not possible for alcohol to increase in effect after 12 hours of taking it ones you have attained a sober state. I am afraid but it seems that your husband is hiding something from you.Do meet your doctor.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.