Dented knee cap, popping sounds

Patient

Q: Hi Doctor!
I had a fall on an escalator about 5 months ago. My knee hit the edge of the escalator step and I got xrays, MRI and stitches, etc. I went to a knee specialist and he told me that I basically dented my knee cap. He said there was no cartilage damage and it should be fine.
My knee is still a little weaker and sometimes feels like it's going to give out on me. But my main concern is that it pops every time I bend/straighten it. It's not painful when it happens; just a little uncomfortable and stiff. Is this normal or is it worth going back for a check up?
Thank you for your time!

Symptoms:  Knee popping, some discomfort, weak knee
Doctor