Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Depo Provera Causing CRAZY mood swings, HELP!

Depo Provera Causing CRAZY mood swings, HELP!

Patient: I just recently got on Depo Provera again (have been on it twice in the past) and am having crazy mood swings again. I did the last time for the first 2 shots and then it evened out. Is there anything I can do during this adjustment period that can ease the mood swings? (They’re borderline psychotic, really. I cry when something on tv is too happy and EVERYTHING aggravates me)

Symptoms: Severe mood swings

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It is known that depot preparations are known to cause changes in the mood, but they will settle down in a couple of weeks on starting the hormones. In your case, the mood swings seem to be severe and it becomes a contraindication to getting off the contraception since reversibility is an issue, you may consult a psychiatrist. Behavioural therapy, deep breathing exercises, anxiety control tips, and counselling may help.You may even need to take medicines for a short course to ease your mind. Kindly see the doctor soon.Hope this helped.Regards,