Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Depo-Provera effectiveness on antibiotics

Depo-Provera effectiveness on antibiotics

Patient: I have had the depo contrreceptive injection. I have also been prescribed antibiotics for my skin and was told by my doctor that it would effect the effectiveness of my injection. Is there anything else that would alter the effectivness, besides antibiotics?

Doctor: With the exception of Rifampin-type antibiotics, there is no conclusive evidence that commonly-prescribed antibiotics ma ke hormonal contraceptives less effective, including Depo-Provera. I would advise you to use a secondary method of contraception (eg condoms) till you finish your antibiotics, just as a precautionary measure.