Depo Provera Shot and How Long it takes to work?

Patient

Q: If I am on the Depo Provera shot, and have been on it for a year. How long does it take for the shot to work?

Symptoms:  No symptoms.
Doctor

A:   Hello ,
thanks for the query
Depo Provera, is a hormonal contraception which is effective to prevent a pregnancy up to 12 to 14 weeks from the date it has been taken.It has to be repeated every 12 weeks in order to expect the best protection against pregnancy if delayed in repeating the shot in this time frame, chances of pregnancy increase accordingly.In your case, if it was taken in an year back and not repeated, then chances of conception is high.
Hope this helped