Depo Shot

Q: I took the Depo shot last month. It has been one month and I havent had a period. Is this common?

A:   Irregular, heavy, or no bleeding are common side effects of Depo Provera. After a few months of use, many women stop having periods. Lack of a period becomes increasingly common with longer use. It is recommended to start this medication at the beginning of your cycle; this is done to confirm that you are not pregnant.
If you haven’t done so, there might be a possibility of pregnancy and you might want to test for that. If pregnancy is not possible, then let me reassure you that this might certainly be caused by a side effect of Depo. Other side effects of Depo Provera can include headaches, nervousness, mood changes, bloating, hot flashes, decreased interest in sex, breast tenderness, acne, hair loss, and back ache.