Depo shot and endometriosis

Patient

Q: Is my Depo shot causing me to have vaginal dryness and cramps and bleeding after an orgasm? I was placed on depo to control endometriosis

Symptoms:  vaginal dryness,cramps,bleeding
Doctor

A:   GnRH agonist depot injections are given to suppress endometriosis. However when taken alone they may cause symptoms similar to menopause such as hot flushes, vaginal dryness, mood changes, spotting, acne, muscular pain etc.
If the symptoms are very severe, it is recommended you consult your doctor about the same. Spotting post orgasm is generally not a side effect of the depot and is another reason why you should get yourself examined. It seems more likely that the post intercourse spotting is due to pelvic infections, cervical lesions, vaginitis etc.
After an examination to rule out more ominous conditions, your doctor may suggest treating the side effects of depot by starting you on hormonal therapy as an add back or give you pills that affect the action of the estrogen or progesterone hormones.