Depo shot and pregnancy

Patient

Q: I was given the depo shot then couple days after i had unprotected sex which he ejaculated in me ..what is the possibility of getting pregnant ...Having brown discharge 1 week now

Symptoms:  Dizzy,slight cramp nausea and brown discharge
Doctor

A:   Hi,
If you got the depo shot during your menstrual period, it will give protection through out the menstrual cycle and the possibility of pregnancy is less.
If you took the shot in the middle of the month, the possibility of pregnancy cannot be ruled out.
Brown discharge can be a side effect of depo shot.
If you want to rule out the possibility of pregnancy, better to go for urine pregnancy test three weeks after the date of intercourse.
Take care.