Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Depression Associated with Dizziness

Depression Associated with Dizziness

Patient: Hello, recently and rather suddenly i came down with dizziness in my head and nausea. these bouts lasted for 2 days at a time (not just for a few miutes but canstant ) then a break for a day then 2 days and so on. I put up with this for 6 weeks thinking it would go away but it has’nt. During that period i lost motivation, my mood dropped, and i couldnt eat. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a bout of depression. What i would like to know is, is the sudden dizziness and nausea a symptom of depression especially since i didnt feel particularly bad before it happened. Thank you

Doctor: The description of your symptoms suggests a depressive episode which may sometimes be accompanied with nausea, dizziness , lightheadedness alongwith other  more common symptoms like decreased appetite, lack of motivation and interest, changes in mood etc. You may slowly start to feel better after starting medications for depression, however it will take sometime to see the resuls. Close follow up with your doctor while on treatment.The description of your symptoms suggests a depressive episode which may sometimes be accompanied with nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness alongwith other  more common symptoms like decreasedappetite, lack of motivation and interest, changes in mood etc. You may slowly start to feel better after starting medications for depression, however it will take sometime to see the resuls. Close follow up withyour doctor while on treatment.