Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Depression for 15 years and medication is not working as used to

Depression for 15 years and medication is not working as used to

Patient: Hi I had depression now for 15 years and was put on the drug called clonazepan and has been on them now for a long time –but lately it seems that those pills are not working like they used to i take 2 a day –but everyday i fell empty sad and lost of everything i used to like doing please help me before i go insine

Doctor: Clonazepam is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.Clonazepam is used to treat seizure disorders or panic disorder. The effectiveness of clonazepam in long-term use, that is, for more than 9 weeks, has not been systematically studied in controlled clinical trials. The physician who elects to use clonazepam for extended periods should periodically reevaluate the long-term usefulness of the drug for the individual patient. In your case, I suggest that you discuss with your doctor the possibility to change medications, first, is not working as used to, second, your depression symptoms are worsening and this calls for an immediate intervention.