Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Depression makes me not want to live anymore

Depression makes me not want to live anymore

Patient: Is there any way that I could get amnesia and permanently forget the past two years of my life?

Symptoms: Depression

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The amnesia that you are describing cannot be medi cally induced. However in case of severe depression, there could be periods of amnesia, but two years is definitely long. Its better to seek treatment for depression rather than seeking unrealistic treatments. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioral therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!