Depression or situational sadness?

Patient : I'm a college student who recently transferred schools. I have never felt so unhappy in my life and I think I might have depression, but I am not sure if it is just situational or if it is actually MDD. I felt depressed often before this happened, but now it is everyday. How can I know which I am experiencing?
Symptoms:  Sadness, crying spells, loneliness, stress, anger
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query. If the duration of your symptoms have persisted si nce 2 weeks and there is a significant distress then you are likely to be depressed. Depression can many times be confused to be a reaction to the stressful event but if it is causing distress then you should get it treated. Fluoxetine, escitalopram, mirtazapine are some good medicines for these illnesses. Do meet your doctor and get assessed and get it treated. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. Wish you good health!