Depression with Hypertension and hypothyroidism.

Q: Sir,i am 32 years old male suffering from depression along with hypertension and hypothyroidism since 2008.initially i was on duloxetine 20 mg and response was excellent but few days ago my physician switched me to escitalopram 10 mg and then 20 mg,but i am felling too much depressed and now he has told me to go for 30 mg..i am very confused sir..please advice me what to do as my depression is getting severe day by day and dr telling me that escitalopram response is very good..

Symptoms:  Felling depressed all time along with physical symptoms of depression..

A:   Thank you for choosing ATD.

Drug choice in depression takes time and some amount of trial and error is usually required before the right medication or dose for an individual is found. When depression gets worse despite a treatment that showed improvement previously, the dose is first increased to its maximum before a change of medication is attempted. Palliative therapy is offered meanwhile, till the right drug/dose is zeroed in. Please have faith in your doctor and stick to the prescription with patience. If you find things unbearable, please do request him to add some medicines to ease out the discomfort meanwhile. if nothing works take a second opinion.

Hope this helps you.