Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Dermotologic Scalp Phoriasis

Dermotologic Scalp Phoriasis

Patient: Hello My scalp has been itching uncontrollably. I have tried everything from washing with an itch shampoo, and using an itch hair grease. Nothing is working. In addition to my scalp itching, the back of my neck at my hair line, the hair back there has broken off considerably. And my ears around the edges and my forehead around my hair line. Can you please tell me what might help this problem. I have used alcohol on the back of my neck, Hydrocortisone 2% cream, nothing last, just a brief relief. Getting an appointment with a dermatologists will be sometime next month. This has been going on now for about a month. I can’t take it any longer, need immediate relief. can you help?

Symptoms: Extremely itchy scalp! Hair at neckline has fallen out and base of neck extremely itchy, around edges of both ears itch uncontrollably, around front of hairline and under eyes also itch.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.As per details, there are following possibilities for your symptoms:1 ) Seborrhoe ic dermatitis: it is characterised by red scaly rash over scalp, back of ears, eyebrows, upper chest, upper back usually associated with itch.2 ) Psoriasis: characterised by red colored scaly well-defined rash over scalp and body. The rash may or may not be associated with itch.It oozes blood at times if scratched or broken skin.I prefer to advise topical steroid like Clobetasone in combination with salicylic acid in lotion formulation for scalp treatment.You may take antihistaminics like levocetirizine for symptomatic relief.Visit your doctor so that he can do physical examination and give you a prescription.You can share my opinion with him.I hope it helps.Stay healthy.