Developed new allergy to perfume that didn't exist before?

Patient

Q: Is it possible to develop allergic reactions later on in life? I have never had an allergy to anything in my life yet now anytime someone wears perfume around me my nose starts getting itchy and I start sneezing very badly. I never had this problem when I was younger.

Doctor

A:   Intolerance to strong odours or smoke may or may not be due to an underlying allergy. In cases of a pre-existing allergic condition, the airways become hyper-reactive to common irritants in the environment. Hence, such irritants may trigger allergy symptoms but are not the basic cause of allergy. You may visit an Allergy Specialist, to get yourself evaluated for a possible underlying sensitivity to an environmental allergen.