Diabetes and amputation help

Patient

Q: Hi, my father is diabetic type 1. He just recently had his left big toe amputated. Got back from the hospital a few weeks later and has nurses to come twice a week to have it cared for.

Now luckily we made an appointment for a checkup. As there was no concern because every time we ask the nurse how its healing the answer was "its fine". So at the doctors office the bandages were taken off and the doctor says you have Gangrene and all the other toes may have to come off. My mother and family are in pure shock as how could this happen when it was just looked at yesterday without any concern by the nurse.

My question is, was this preventable and should it have been caught sooner???

Thanks in advance as we are in shock and trying to find some answers. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Paul

Doctor