Diabetes and cancer link

Q: This past year, my husband has been through a LOT of medical issues. In May of 2014, he would have been considered a very healthy, fit person (He is 6'3" aprox 180 lbs and has since lost a lot of weight). In July 2014 he was diagosed with Type II diabetes. His A1C was out of control at 14.7!! This was taken very seriously, and he IMMEDIATELY got it under control through diet and meds. He now hovers around. A few months after that he developed blood clots in both legs. Has since had additional clots. He has now has discomfort in his arms and legs, high blood pressure, shortness of breath, occasional chest pains, feels sick ALL THE TIME. I think there is some serious underlying condition causing all this (NO FAMILY HISTORY), but the doctors basically just say this is his life now. No blood tests or CT scans have shown anything out of the ordinary. He and WE cannot live like this. Oh, he is only 49 years old. What should I be asking or doing differently? Have you ever seen something like this before?

Symptoms:  Diabetes, blood clots, high blood pressure, discomfort, sick