Diabetes and memory loss

Patient

Q: Hello, I'm a 15 years old and have suffered from diabetes type 1 for 9 years now.
I've recently stumbled upon some information, that has caught my attention. What I heard was, that diabetes can have a negative affect on the brain, more specifically the hippocampus.
Now, I was wondering if someone could maybe tell me whether or not this is true, because I have, since I was little, had great trouble holding on to memories. I've never really thought about it before, but after having done some research on the subject I ended up with more questions than answers.
For example: I've discovered that low and high blood sugar can cause the hippocampus to suffer from short term memory loss, but does it count for both type 1 and 2 diabetes? And can it cause long term memory loss as well?(I should maybe let you know that I've had my fair share of complications with controlling my bg) If not, can diabetes type 1 cause long term memory loss in some other way?
If it can, is there then some way that I can get my memories back? Because my diabetes has deprived me of plenty over the years and I would just hate for it to have stolen my childhood as well.
Last but not least, (this might seem as quite uncalled for, but it's just a little something I've been wondering about) I heard that diabetes type 1 can reduce my lifetime by 15 years, is that really so? Cause that's a lot of years!

Doctor