Diabetes and Nicotine

Patient

Q: Does nicotine increase sugar levels? Doctors have told me before that i shouldn't smoke because if i get cancer my diabetes would be harder to treat. But i was wondering if there was also another reason.

Doctor

A:   Smoking (nicotine) is now proven to increase the insulin resistance in the body, a primary mechanism for diabetes. Lung cancer per se should not affect blood sugars and is not probably the reason why your doctor advised you to stop smoking.
However, There are many other reasons why you should cut down on your smoking.
Smoking increases the risk for heart disease, which is already high in diabetics.
Smoking increases kidney disease progression, particularly in diabetics
Smoking increases the risk for erectile dysfunction.
So, Quit smoking, and step up to a healthier life style,
All the best in your endeavour..