Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Diabetes and planning a child

Diabetes and planning a child

Patient: Hi, I am a 33 year old make with diabetes, not sure if its type 1 or 2 (a1c is 6.8 – 7 if that helps)….my wife and I are planning to have a child, should we be concerned? Anything we can do to help the situation?Thanks

Symptoms: Diabetes a1c 6.8-7

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,If you both as a couple are planning for a child and your wife is diabetic as indicated by the HbA1c values of 6.8 -7 , which clearly indicates that her blood sugar control has been erratic in past 3 months and likely that she has a type 2 diabetes mellitus.The concern with conceiving with diabetes is for both the mother and the foetus. The foetus is more prone to develop congenital heart anomalies and defects like atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defect or endocardial cushion defects.Also once conceived and if sugar levels are not under control during pregnancy then the major complication which can occur is MACROSOMIA or large baby and also chances are that if the termination of pregnancy is not timed , a post diatoms may be sinister for the baby and may cause even still birth. Mother becomes more susceptible to associated gestational hypertension along with diabetes and also post natal neonatal hypoglycaemia is common which can play a pivotal role by affecting child’s developmental milestone derogatorily.So it is suggested that sugar levels should be controlled 3 months prior to plan for conception so that such complications can be avoided and also a strict sugar control with regular monitoring is required during pregnancy to avoid maternal and foetal complications.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: Thank you, but I said that I (the male) am the diabetic, not my wife…

Doctor: Hello,
In that case there is no such concern and diabetes don’t really affect the sperm quality. If the sperm analysis report is normal then you both can plan pregnancy.