Diabetes and prevention of kidney damage.

Patient

Q: I've been diagonosed with diabetes and is not on medication for it however my doctor is putting me on Atacand 8mg and an aspirin everyday. He said its to protect my kidneys. There is notting wrong with them but he wants to protect them. I this normal?

Doctor

A:   Diabetes can in itself be controlled with lifesytle modicafications . However it is important to remember that this condition does affect your heart as well as your kidneys and other organs in the long run. Thus it is pretty standard to use primary prevention methods by putting the patient on atacand and aspirin, especially if you have concurrent high blood pressure. All the best.