Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diabetes mellitus diagnosis must be confirmed on more than one occasion

Diabetes mellitus diagnosis must be confirmed on more than one occasion

Patient: Hi doc i tested my blood sugar with my wifes uncle machine who had diabetes and it was 550 he said i have to go to the emergency room now but i had a leiter of soda today and i had sweets before the test..

Doctor: The diagnosis of diabetes mellitus is easily established when a patient presents with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, blurry vision) and has a random blood glucose value of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher, and confirmed on another occasion. Other diagnostic criteria include: Fasting plasma glucose values ?126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L), two-hour post oral glucose challenge values of ?200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), and A1C values ?6.5 percent. An abnormal result should be confirmed by repeat measurement with the same test. I advise attending your family doctor for a repeat test, because these results need to be confirmed on a repeat test, for diagnosis to be complete.