Diabetes prevention and lifestyle modifications

Patient

Q: Diabetes runs in my family both parents and a brother. I know my risk is high - just lateley my fasting blood sugar was 6.1 - over the norm .1 - I have put myself on a strick diet and am using cinnamin and apple cider vinigar with proper diet and exercise to lower the readings. Is there anything elwe I can do to improve this?

Doctor

A:   Diabetes Type 2 has many risk factors. Definitely genetics is a major one, however lifestyle, diet , obesity and age play a role too. Since you are genetically prone to Diabetes I further advice you to continue with a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Avoid Red meat however white meat like chicken and turkey is good.Also try and avoid greasy and oily foods. In case you are overweight , reducing you weight to obtain a BMI between 20-25 would be ideal. Regular exercise has been proven to have a positive effect on Diabetes and you should definitely continue that. Smoking also increases the risk of diabetes so reducing would help too.  Another advice would be to check your blood glucose again in the next 6 months to see where the levels are at. I wish you all the best.