Diabetes Questions and Remedies

Patient

Q: My doctor told me i have a diabetes on border line. but when i checked sugar level in the morning fasting it comes 7-8 some time more. what should be the right reading i do excercise everyday in the morning and some yoga excercise. Which is the best result before excercise or after excercise. Some time i feel my eyes are flickering during the day does it relate with my sugar level up or down. what kind of diet and precaution i should further take in order to prevent further more problems in this regard. Some times i feel headache in the morning. does alcohal is prohibted in that kind of situation or it is allowed to take? What is type 1 or type 2 difference

Doctor

A:   Type 1 diabetes is the one in which the immune system attacks the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas and destroys them, and appears early in life. The pancreas then produces little or no insulin. A person who has type 1 diabetes must take insulin daily to live.  Type 2 form of diabetes appears later in life around 50 to 55 years of age, and is associated with obesity, family history of diabetes, previous history of gestational diabetes, physical inactivity, and ethnicity. The range for the fasting sugar level is 4 - 6 mmol/l in healthy adults, but in diabetics the range is 4 - 7 mmol/l (irrespective of before or after exercise), and the sugar level at 2 hour after meals should remain within 5 - 8 mmol/l in healthy adults while the target level after meals for those with diabetes is 5 - 10 mmol/l. It is very important that people with borderline or pre-diabetes, control their weight to stop or delay the progression to diabetes. Physical activity specially aerobics, in addition to diet modification, is important. Consumption of healthy fiber-rich foods including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. Patients with diabetes also need to be aware of their heart health nutrition, in particular, controlling high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Omega-3 fatty acids (found in fatty fish, shellfish, flaxseed, walnuts, and canola) and omega-6 fatty acids (found in sunflower, safflower, corn, and soybean oils as well as nuts and seeds) are categorized as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and have many benefits for the heart and overall health. You may consult a dietician for a personalised dietary advice depending on your daily diet habits. Limiting of the alcoholic beverages to 2 drinks per day is recommended for an adult male diagnosed with diabetes. Your headaches may be due to the lowered blood sugar, so you may want to note for any association and also if your symptoms improve after taking food.

Type 1 diabetes is the one in which the immune system attacks the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas and destroys them, and appears early in life. The pancreas then produces little or no insulin. A person who has type 1 diabetes must take insulin daily to live.  Type 2 form of diabetes appears later in life around 50 to 55 years of age, and is associated with obesity, family history of diabetes, previous history of gestational diabetes, physical inactivity, and ethnicity. The range for the fasting sugar level is 4 - 6 mmol/l in healthy adults, but in diabetics the range is 4 - 7 mmol/l (irrespective of before or after exercise), and the sugar level at 2 hour after meals should remain within 5 - 8 mmol/l in healthy adults while the target level after meals for those with diabetes is 5 - 10 mmol/l. It is very important that people with borderline or pre-diabetes, control their weight to stop or delay the progression to diabetes. Physical activity specially aerobics, in addition to diet modification, is important. Consumption of healthy fiber-rich foods including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. Patients with diabetes also need to be aware of their heart health nutrition, in particular, controlling high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Omega-3 fatty acids (found in fatty fish, shellfish, flaxseed, walnuts, and canola) and omega-6 fatty acids (found in sunflower, safflower, corn, and soybean oils as well as nuts and seeds) are categorized as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and have many benefits for the heart and overall health. You may consult a dietician for a personalised dietary advice depending on your daily diet habits. Limiting of the alcoholic beverages to 2 drinks per day is recommended for an adult male diagnosed with diabetes. Your headaches may be due to the lowered blood sugar, so you may want to note for any association and also if your symptoms improve after taking food.