Diabetes, Swollen Feet, little pain in lower knee areas

Q: I'm diabetic on GLycomet GP1 for last 3 years. I hvae FBS 130, PPG 180. I have my both feet swollen during the day time.
Early morning it looks normal. I checked my kidney function, my creatine level is in range. What else could be the problem

Symptoms:  Swollen Feet

A:   Hello! Thank you for asking this question on ATD!
Diabetes should not cause swelling of limbs in the initial stages. In case you have associated cardiovascular diseases (like hypertension) or endocrine problems (like hypothyroidism)you must be aware of the following facts. Long-standing hypertension may cause the heart to fail at times causing blood to pool down the legs. Sometimes, it's not the disease itself, but medicines used to treat hypertension may also cause some swelling of feet or legs. As with diabetes, foot swelling may occur when considerable kidney damage is present causing water to accumulate in the body. Creatinine level is not always a good marker of kidney function as it starts to derange only after a considerable damage to the kidneys have already occurred. In the early stages of kidney damage, it may just remain normal! In fact, there are tests like creatinine clearance test or Albumin Creatinine ratio in the urine that reflect the degree of damage to the kidneys in diabetic patients. Your PPG is still on the higher side and you may benefit from a slightly tighter glycemic control if hypoglycemic episodes are not a problem for you. Same medication may achieve better control if you walk for an hour every day! Please see a nephrologist and a cardiologist as per your physician recommendations to investigate the cause of your pedal oedema. Hope this helps.