Diabetes Symptoms & Diabetes history in Family

Patient: I have been starting to have Nocturia (but only one time around 5-6 am, and not everyday) for the last 3 months & I am afraid I might have diabetes. I have a BMI bigger than 33 (height 188 cm, weight 125 kg). My immediate family does not have diabetes but my grandmother (mother side) did have. I do not have other symptoms (such as continuous thirst or excessive hunger or infections/slow healing of bruises, etc ). I only have this symptom (nocturia, but only 1 time & not everyday) but I am afraid due to my BMI & the history of diabetes from grandmother.

Symptoms: Nocturia (1 time only around 4-5 am and not everyday)

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.Passing urine 1-2 times a day is normal and we don’t call it Nocturia.But since y ou have a family history of diabetes, you should keep a check.However, to confirm that, blood sugar estimation is required.I would advise you to get following investigations done:1. HbA1c2. Fasting and Postprandial Blood sugars.Otherwise also, start regular exercises. Avoid fat and sugar in diet.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy