Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diabetes type 2, alcohol and metformin intake.

Diabetes type 2, alcohol and metformin intake.

Patient: I take metforming ain the morning and eveningwith dinner (7:00pm) Ocasionally, at 10:30pm I drink two glasses of wine. In the mornig blood sugar is below 95. If I don ‘t drink wine, blood sugar is between 100-110. Is it good to drink wine daily, even though I’m taking metformin? Thank you for the attention Claduio Crema

Doctor: No, it is not recommended to take drink alcohol while taking Metformin, especially if you drink on a daily basis.Certa inly Alcohol lowers blood sugar but it also increases your risk of lactic acidosis while taking metformin. This is a life threatening condition that would develop even more if you are dehydrated and suffer from kidney complications related to diabetes or heart failure. I would suggest you to avoid drinking alcohol to avoid potential risks for developing conditions related to lactic acidosis such as Diabetic Ketoacidosis. I hope I could clear your doubt.