Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diabetes with cold and flu with heart problems

Diabetes with cold and flu with heart problems

Patient: What are the effects of using two types of insulin MIxtard and ACtrapid, how much time do I need to lower my blood sugar

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.Insulin Mixtard contains two types of insulin, one is short actin g and the other one is intermediate/Long acting. Human Actraprid insulin is a short-acting insulin. So, we can say that Mixtard already contains Actraprid.We never mix them together. However, when we use Mixtard and don’t get adequate control then we add Actraprid particularly at lunch as we usually prescribe Mixtard before breakfast and before dinner.Blood sugar control starts within 30 minutes of taking the insulin. Exact dose required needs to be calculated based on the blood sugar values.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.