Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diabetes without insulin for 12 hours or more

Diabetes without insulin for 12 hours or more

Patient: So i have type one diabetes, i live in Australia and the job i’m applying for is the police force, i know that becoming a police officer is hard with diabetes, they expect a diabetic to last 12 hours without food, water, or insulin, as a diabetic i’m curious on how this is possible and what can i do to be able to achieve this

Doctor: I appreciate your ambitions,Type 1 Diabetes is near complete absence of insulin in the body. So, the risk of Hypo (low )/Hyper (high) glycemia is much worse than a Type 2 Diabetic.There are actually a few studies which have evaluated the safety of 24 hr fasting in Type 1 Diabetic, under controlled monitoring. 65% of them successfully completed fasting but, with frequent monitoring of blood sugars. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17367310If your “12 hr fasting” requirement is only a test or short term protocol, without much exertion during the period, you can probably go ahead with extreme caution and careful monitoring of blood sugars. However, if it is a long-term/ regular affair, I suggest you against opting that risky job.All the best with your career ahead.